Friday, July 9, 2010

Breakfast

Gonna start off small. I made these oats this morning, so they are what is on my mind.

One of my favorite foods to eat while I was pregnant was creamy oatmeal. Milk instead of water, and a lil bit of sugar. After i started breastfeeding, and found that milk was a no-no I SO missed creamy oatmeal. Oatmeal made with water is just not the same, sooo... I started adding bananas in to my oatmeal. The bananas add a creamy-ness that I had been looking for, as well as a little hint of tropical flavor. It has quickly become the kids favorite breakfast meal.

2 cups water
1 cup oats (I use the rolled oats, but quick oats work just as well, if you have issues with gluten be sure to buy oatmeal that is certified gluten free.)
2 medium - large sized ripe bananas (over ripe works even better.)
2 tbl of sugar (optional)
Pinch or two of salt

Bring the water (sugar and salt if using) to a boil in a med sized sauce pan. While the water is coming to a boil, slice and mash the bananas in a small bowl. I use the bowl I or the kids will be eating out of, cuz I hate doing dishes.

When the water has come to a boil add the oats. If you are using quick oats you can wait about 1 min before adding the mashed bananas, if using the rolled oats it is better to wait 2-3.

Add the mashed bananas, and let cook for a bit longer, till the oats are done. Serve them up and dig in.

I have put coconut milk in the oatmeal after it was done, but I dont often have coconut milk hanging around.

Soooo.... yeah. There it is. I am going to be trying a vanilla wafer recipe tonight, and I will post tomorrow and let ya'll know how that turns out!

1 comment: